7) Rain & Sunsets

We told Taylee that Weston is flying in the clouds, because explaining all of this to a two year old is overwhelming, and it seemed like that was the happiest thing to believe. She never asks where he is, because she’ll tell you that that’s exactly what he is doing. Even still today, we’ll be outside or driving and on a perfectly cloudy day, she’ll say, “Weston boy is flying in the clouds.”

When I was little, I would sit with my grandma on her porch and watch the rain and lightning. She lived in Southern California so we didn’t see her as much as I would have liked, but I was her girl and that was our thing. My grandma died a few days before my 16th birthday, and I was devastated, but always felt comfort when it rained. I’m not extremely religious and I don’t believe in ghosts, but I completely believe that our loved ones show us they’re okay in special ways. My grandma makes it rain. When I first told Chris about this, I know he thought I was a little bit crazy; unless you experience it, it does seem like it would check a few boxes in the psych ward. 

I knew he’d eventually start to see how crazy the rain thing was. It rained when my family and I went to my grandma’s house to go through her things. It rained at my high school graduation, snowed at my college graduation (Reno temperatures kind of mess the rain idea up sometimes!); it rained the day before our wedding and was supposed to rain on our wedding (my grandma knew better than to mess that up!), and it rained the day we brought both Taylee and Weston home from the hospital. Coupled with a multitude of other rainy days that came at just the perfect time. We live in a desert… how can you not be at least a little convinced? :)

So I knew that Weston would do something special to tell me he was okay. The evening we came home from the hospital, there was a beautiful sunset. Weston boy was flying in the clouds making beautiful sunsets. I don’t know if I just didn’t pay attention before or if there are more (I swear there are more) but we have had the most beautiful sunsets and sunrises since August. Each one takes my breath away and gives me some peace.


August 26, 2015 – the view from Weston’s window

Lesson #4

No comments:

Post a Comment